Money Advice Trust > For creditors > Information for health and social care professionals

Information for health and social care professionals

1. What is the DMHEF?
  • The Debt and Mental Health Evidence Form (DMHEF) is a form that only health and social care professionals can complete.
  • The DMHEF is sometimes used when an organisation that is owed money needs evidence to confirm that a customer has a mental health problem.
  • When this happens, the customer (or someone authorised to act on their behalf) approaches a health or social care professional to complete the DMHEF.
  • The completed DMHEF is then shared with the organisation that is owed money. Along with other information, it is used to help decide what action to take.
2. I have been asked by a patient to complete a DMHEF – what do I do?
  • You should:

    - check you have been given the DMHEF and an accompanying Consent Form

    - check that the Consent Form contains the patient’s explicit consent to complete the DMHEF

    - if you are content to proceed, then complete the DMHEF 

    - return the DMHEF in the envelope that should have also been given to you.
    If there is no envelope, please return all documents to the patient.
3. I am a General Practitioner – can I charge to complete the DMHEF?
  • If you have a contract with NHS England, you must not charge for completing the DMHEF. This is part of your contract under the National Health Service (General Medical Services Contracts and Personal Medical Services Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2019.
  • If you are working in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, you can currently ask for payment to complete the DMHEF.

    Please remember that:
    - completing the DMHEF could make a real difference to the patient’s health and financial situation – it will give the organisation they owe money to information that may change the way they are collecting a debt, and this can have a positive effect on the patients wellbeing and financial circumstances. 

    - the patient is in financial difficulty, they either will not have the money to pay any charge, or if they do make the payment this will place them in further debt.
© Money Advice Trust Charity Number 1099506
site by rubbaglove